Blog Weekend Posts

The Weekend Post #36

After last weekend being what it was, I was really determined for this weekend to be better. To be honest – as long as I didn’t fall over, that was kind of guaranteed! But I’d been counting down to Friday all week, as I was still sore and still quite shaken from what happened. I just felt really out of sorts and, to be honest, Manchester was quite terrifying at times. It was busy and I felt claustrophobic a lot. I didn’t like being jostled about or being squished into people on the train. 
So when I started my day working from home I was so relieved. I’ll be honest! It actually turned out to be a really busy and tough day – I worked late and through lunch to get some unexpected work done and I was quite rattled by the time Mark got home.
Luckily, I’d had the foresight to stick some washing in the washing machine when I woke, and pop a beef Massaman curry in the slow cooker, so our meal for the evening was smelling pretty good, and I’d cut some chores of my to-do list. 
We actually spent Friday night building baby girl’s cotbed. Mark had tickets to watch the boxing in Manchester on Saturday night – he’s on his way back as I type now on Sunday. So he wanted to try and get it done so we weren’t waiting around for next weekend. As it stands – we still need to build her wardrobe – so the room is by no means done, but we’re getting there. Baby steps for a baby room. 

Saturday morning started off fairly beautiful. Though the clouds soon rolled in and turned to rain as the day progressed. 
I feel like Spring is trying so hard to get here now. It keeps fighting these colder days, but every time the sun breaks, it seems to be forced away by a cloud or a gust of wind. I’m pretty desperate for some warmer days now. I know that my daughter will be here when it warms up and I’m so focused on April that I know I’m guilty of forgetting to fully appreciate the month I’m in right now. March is the last guaranteed month we have as a family of three, it’s my last month in work, and so I’m going to try and make the most of it now. 
I managed some snaps of our beautiful cat boy. Romeo has started to come into his own now. We’ve not even had him a year, but he’s becoming less and less nervous as he settles. He’s an odd cat, we have to admit. He’s got the strangest temperament, but he’s sweet. And he sure is beautiful.
I wish I’d got some snaps of Elsa, but she’s always been the hardest cat to photograph. She always tends to be out or in an awkward spot. She’s going through a hard time at the moment – we took her to the vets as she started over-grooming, something she was doing before she was adopted, due to stress. It went away the minute I brought her home, a couple of years ago, but it has started up again and we are trying our best to find the cause. 
We think it may be that we’ve stopped the cats having access to upstairs. As much as we love them, they had become a bit too territorial and dominant about the rooms they expected to have access too. And sometimes we’d put Bill to bed and there would be a cat in there with him. Or we’d go to bed at night and Romeo would claw and scratch to get in. Plus, with a baby on the way, I didn’t want to find a cat in a cotbed, or disturbing her as she slept in her crib in our room. They are both the sort to investigate and I’ve felt really bad changing the rules.
Romeo has adjusted really well to the no bedroom rule, but we’re wondering if Elsa feels put-out. Either that, or something else is amiss. We’ve taken her to the vets, bought Feliway, and tried to fuss her. But I’m not sure what else to do for now. I worry that it’s being in a house with children – I don’t want to rehome her and she’s been fine until now – so I’m determined to find the cause of the problem and solve it.

Sorry – bit of a cat ramble there wasn’t there? Once I’d finished taking photos of the cat, rubbing himself on my calves, I found myself in the kitchen doing chores. Like I always do. Saturday morning is actually a lovely part of the week for me. I feel ready to grab hold of the weekend, and I spent my time productively, chatting to Bill, and getting things done. I like to get our washing sorted, clean the kitchen, and do longer jobs like cleaning our oven, or emptying the dishwasher and the drying rack on the sink, and putting everything in its rightful place. It just makes me feel happy to get things in order so I can enjoy the weekend. 
As Mark was off out that afternoon, I headed out with Bill for lunch with my family, to celebrate my Grandma’s birthday, and Nikky’s birthday – she’s my brother’s girlfriend and I love her. We went to a local Thai restaurant. And I left Mark taking some bits to the tip, thinking it wouldn’t take him too long and then he could get off and enjoy his day.
What I didn’t expect, was to get home, to find he’d only just finished and taken lots of extra bits and had planned to get a later train instead. So I basically went out and had fun and ate Thai food, and he stayed behind as my man slave. I felt awful! 

I did have a lovely time though.

This is Nikky – she’s a beaut isn’t she?

My lovely grandparents. About a year ago, my Gramps was just out of hospital after a huge problem with his heart. It was a horrible time for our family. I found it so hard. So I’m extra thankful for every single day I get with these two. They have always been a huge part of my life and I think they are great company.
My parents were also there, but my mum took hold of my camera – she likes to have a play around with it – and the one photo I have of them is out of focus! Which makes me sad – I should have tried harder. It’s been such a long time since I did this all like it was second-nature. I can’t wait to get my energy back and feel like the real me again, once this little girl is here. 

Oh hi Pad Thai.

I very rarely have someone take photos of me – I’m always the one with the camera – but I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn’t look huge with pregnancy bloat. I mean – it’s only my face, granted – but it made me feel a bit more confident! 

The sun on Sunday morning made me grin. It’s been the most beautiful day so far. Even if the clouds are at war with the sun in the sky. I woke up feeling fresh and hopeful. Bill woke me up at 7:30am, and decided that he’d get the iPad and let me rest for a little while longer. That makes him sound like an angel child – but he’s clever (and kind too), as iPad time is limited in this house. Unless your mum is tired and pregnant – and then the rules change a bit! 
I do miss Mark though. He’s due home in about 15 minutes I think. I keep watching the bay window to the right of me, as I type, in hope that I might catch a glimpse of him. Even though I know it’s impossible for him to be here yet. 
I don’t mind time apart, but when I’m pregnant, I do feel strange without him around. Especially after last weekend. I realised how much I do need him. And I can’t wait to see him. 

Look at that belly. It’s a wonder how it will grow anymore. 

This morning, we’ve just relaxed, me and my little guy. We’ve made cookies, from a packet mix that my mum bought us. And it made me look like a super mum from Bill’s perspective, and kept this little girl in my belly very happy too – she seems to enjoy a sugar hit now and again.

I have to wrap this up now, as, while I type, there’s a huge pile of stuffed toys behind me, on top of me, and over my hands so I can barely type. 
I think someone has decided that my half-hour of writing is up! 

There’s a blog at the very end, if you’d like to see. But otherwise, maybe next weekend?

You Might Also Like...

No Comments

  • Reply
    newcastle familylife
    29th February 2016 at 8:57 am

    It sounds like you have had a lovely weekend. I bet it is lovely to have the nursery starting to come together with the cot up , I use to always like at my daughters and think soon my baby will be in there which was surreal xx

  • Reply
    29th February 2016 at 9:18 am

    I totally feel you re: Saturday mornings. If we don't have anywhere to be I love getting the washing done, tidying up, doing little odd jobs (writing cards to post, sorting paperwork, making a shopping list etc) – makes me feel so much better and ready for a nice weekend. My Mum always says that 'outer order leads to inner calm' and the older I get the more I realise she is totally right – that Saturday morning really does make a difference to the way I feel for the rest of the weekend! 🙂 xx

  • Reply
    29th February 2016 at 10:20 am

    With cats there is usually a dominant one that rules the roost and makes life a bit tough for the other cat, perhaps Romeo is the cat boss and Elsa is having a hard time especially as the rooms she has access to for respite are now limited? It's not always obvious to humans as it's like psychological cat tactics lol. I really recommend reading the books 'Cat Detective' and 'Cat Confidential' by Vicky Halls – interesting if you're a cat owner, especially with more than 1 cat sharing the house!

    I can't believe youre so close to April now, it seems like yesterday you made your cownouncement! xx

  • Reply
    S, x
    29th February 2016 at 11:16 am

    I enjoy reading your weekend posts so much. It's such a lovely little insight into your time with your family and I can't wait to see how it all changes when your little girl arrives x

    Sophie Cliff

  • Reply
    Christina Crouch
    29th February 2016 at 7:56 pm

    I want to know the rules of 'Stuck on the Table and Chair!'

  • Reply
    Jenny Ripatti-Taylor
    2nd March 2016 at 9:50 pm

    Oh lovely weekend post darling you always are on great adventures with Bill I love it. Man slave bless he is a keeper isn't he? lol You look amazing in that photo too babes. Hope to catch up again before baby arrives.

  • Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.