Blog Our Home

An IKEA Haul

Stephen was working all of the last weekend and, when I heard that my parents were planning on a little Saturday trip to IKEA, William and I had to tag along.

I, like the rest of the population within a decent distance to the IKEA in Ashton (or so it seemed) am utterly obsessed with this flat-pack heaven. I can’t enter those blue and yellow walls without a firm knowledge that I will spend money. I just can’t help it.

The main reason for visiting – yes, there was intent – was to check out the EXPEDIT shelving unit for our lounge (when we get round to decorating it…). As I’d hoped, it was exactly what I knew it would be – the perfect combination of practical storage and an unusual feature. We want to get the four-by-four stack, and use the bottom half to store W’s toys and books and the top half for our things, whether books, DVDs or knick-knacks.

I didn’t purchase it there and then, as there’s no point right now, but along the way, I accumulated a few other things instead…

First-up, is this gorgeous paper lantern lamp. We blew all of our existing lamps (fuses and all) when we first moved into our house as the socket we were using was dodgy. It’s since been replaced, and we’ve been lampless ever since. This one, known at VÄTE, was pretty, simple and cheap, at £8.50, and it will fit in with our style once we have decorated too.

The little plastic KALAS bowls, were just £1.00. They are just handy to have with William and the little rainbow selection makes me smile too. I wish I had them when I did William’s Rainbow-Themed Birthday Party.

I am addicted to candles, so I couldn’t go to IKEA without buying some of their 95p TINDRA candles. The scent of the spiced one wasn’t as strong as I’d hoped but the vanilla one is lovely and strong. I finally nabbed myself two of these gorgeous SKURAR plant pots, except I’m using them to hold my candles at the moment. I may nab two more for brush holders in my bedroom too.

As we have leather sofas, which are quite tall and slippery, William always has quite the mission getting up and comfortable when he’d like to watch the television or just relax. My parents, very kindly, bought him this POÄNG chair, which I built while he napped. He absolutely loves it and I’d recommend it to anyone. At £20, I think it’s great value and it was easy to build too.

The little dragon fellow, known as a FLYGDRAKE, called Gregory Puff (don’t ask), found his way into our trolley as my parents couldn’t resist that friendly, little forked-tongue face. He’s been dragged around our lounge a lot already. Poor old Greg.

When I saw the LILLABO play mat I squealed! I had one just like this when I was little and my brother and I would play on it for hours. We’d even build our Lego village on it and it was so special to us. I’ve been teaching William how to play on it already and I love the bright clash of fun that it will add to our lounge one day. For now, it looks a bit wacky on our hideous carpets, but we don’t mind a bit when we see our little boy wheeling his cars along it.

Oh and didn’t I tell you? I found my dream kitchen too…

Kelly O
    8th October 2013 at 7:13 am

There's a song by Jonathan Coulton about Ikea that you HAVE to look up – we play it every time we go! The Expedit bookcase system is amazing. We have it in our lounge as they used to do a different entertainment centre arrangement and then we bought the five by five for Ethan's playroom with doors and drawers as well as baskets. You can store so much and it looks great too.

Lucy
    8th October 2013 at 8:06 am

I love me a trip to ikea. Or my favourite little Swedish boutique as I like to call it. It definitely has some magical qualities that make you spend money. It just has so many things that you didn't realise you NEEDED until you see them in the shop.
    And I have to sing the praises of the expedit system. We have 4 different ones in our home and they are so versatile for storage and display. We have a 4×2 version which is lying down the short way, with our TV on and all the kids toys stored in, as well as all our recipe books and DVDs and Xbox stuff. We also have two 1×5 versions with books, ornaments, photos in and more DVD and CDs stored in the bottom. And another 1×5 in our dining room which houses all kind of random things in boxes and baskets. I love that they work in all sorts of different rooms and I know the kids will be having them in their rooms for toys when we move. x

Charlotte Taylor
    8th October 2013 at 8:23 am

I've wanted an EXPEDIT for absolutely ages. I think it may be the first of many if I'm honest! We just have a lot of 'tat' (as my Dad would say) and it needs housing away. Our lounge has a big fireplace, which has two recesses either side and the 4×4 would be perfect for that. I'm wondering if our television would fit on it too. I want to go back to IKEA in all honesty – I could spend my week in there quite happily! Are you moving soon? I had no idea! Good luck! xx

Charlotte Taylor
    8th October 2013 at 8:25 am

I swear we have pretty much everything in common! I must look up that song! I'm in a really 'housey' mood at the moment and I'm so ready to get decorating finally. It's so exciting! xx

Kelly O
    8th October 2013 at 8:47 am

Your my sister from another mister! 😉

Lucy
    8th October 2013 at 8:58 am

Sounds perfect. I think expedits are amazing bits of furniture. Cannot sing their praises enough. My lounge looks suspiciously like an ikea showroom between 3 expedits, two of their sofas, a side table and their poang chairs (BB has one and BG is getting for Christmas!) it's like ikea threw up in here.
    It sounds sad but ikea is probably one of my favourite places on earth. And this is going to sound very strange, but it was somewhere that I really liked being in late pregnancy both times. We went about 4 times in the last month or so of pregnancy with BG. It's my happy place!!! x

Lauren_W
    8th October 2013 at 9:54 am

Right, now I want to go to Ikea more than ever.
    I have never been to one, despite living close(ish) to the Milton Keynes one when we lived in Bedford/St Neots.
    My husband said I'm not allowed to go because he knows I'll end up sulking.
    I love those plant pots especially, they look fab with the candles in them xx

Laura
    8th October 2013 at 5:23 pm

I love IKEA! You can get lost in there for hours. Almost every piece of furniture I own is from there.

mummydaddyme
    8th October 2013 at 7:05 pm

I love a good old trip to Ikea, its my happy place! And I had one of those road mat things, I have one in Dunelm for Mads on her Christmas list. x

Danielle Askins
    9th October 2013 at 7:55 am

We are always taking trips to IKEA-our lounge is full of the expedit range-we have 3 in varying sizes they really are very handy! It's impossible to not find something you REALLY need in there that you were completely unaware of before going isn't it!

They Grow So Quick
    9th October 2013 at 1:36 pm

I love Ikea, we have pretty much everything in this post lol!

Hurrah for gin
    9th October 2013 at 7:51 pm

God i love ikea!!! You always come out with about 10x the amount of stuff you went in for. We have the road playmat, still a big hit 🙂

Kat
    9th October 2013 at 9:36 pm

Love your new blog makeover! And who doesn't love Ikea? I go to the one in Ashton too, haha 🙂 Most of our furniture is from there, I just love how reasonably priced it is! Very dangerous for my bank balance though… xx

Curls & Swirls Beauty Blog

Eilidh T
    12th October 2013 at 11:32 am

I wish I could drive so I could go to my nearest ikea… Sigh! I love the wee chair, I think my mum was going to get Aiden one for Christmas but I'm not sure. £20 is such a good price! I thought it would be far more! Xo

Laurenne @ ThisMummy
    14th October 2013 at 10:18 am

I was exactly the same, I was there a few times a week the last few weeks of my pregnancies. Must be a nesting thing – we crave IKEA!!

We have so much from there too in every room (and every single item in our playroom is IKEA), can't beat it for price and storage. We've assembled so much IKEA furniture over our last two houses we are pretty pro at it now haha 🙂

L x

Gianna
    14th November 2013 at 9:11 am

Bei Ikea kaufe ich auch unheimlich gerne ein und deine Auswahl an Produkte sieht echt spitze aus.