Blog William James

Just as you are

I’m often left amused at myself, when I share the lovely, smiley photographs of William. They are – in truth – some of the better memories I want to remember. But to truly remember a person, to truly remember your child as they grow up, well, you have to remember the not-so-pleasant parts too.

There are things I need no help in remembering – like the smell of a dirty nappy, or the way he will pull my hair – but is it wrong that William’s unhappy face – square mouthed, furrowed brow and pink cheeks – is something I don’t want to forget?

In his 14 months, he’s learning to express himself more and more. And while, at times it can be adorable, funny and sweet, other times I reminded that: “Hey, Mum! I am a person too you know. I don’t like it when you take the controller off me! Or when you put me in the cot while you have a wee!”

The photograph above was one that I took while taking photographs for a review, when William had just had enough. And it makes me smile because you can tell he just wants to wallop me! But he’s growing up. He knows who he is and what he wants and I want to embrace that.

So here’s to you William James. Here’s to you. Just as you are.

And here’s to Katie, for inspiring me to remember everything. Not just the edited parts.

mummy daddy me

My Two Mums
    27th August 2013 at 3:31 pm

Awww, love this. You have to capture every moment πŸ™‚

Eilidh T
    27th August 2013 at 4:40 pm

He's still cute even when he's in a grump! Xo

mummydaddyme
    27th August 2013 at 8:07 pm

Haha love this Charlotte, and I know it is awful but sometimes I find myself laughing at Mads grumpy tantrum face. She is so dramatic, totally Diva in the making! x

Bex @ The Mummy Adventure
    27th August 2013 at 10:36 pm

I have some brilliant pictures of Dylan from when he was tiny as his bottom lip used to stick out so far when he was cross that it just made me giggle!

Hurrah for gin
    28th August 2013 at 8:28 pm

Brilliant! I should take more unhappy photos too – it's a major part of who they are πŸ˜‰

Charlotte Taylor
    30th August 2013 at 12:54 pm

I loved your post about M for the same reason. It's sort of nice to remember how human they are. I think we are all a bit blinded by their cuteness sometimes! πŸ™‚ xx

Charlotte Taylor
    30th August 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thank you pickle. He's taking lessons from A! xx

Charlotte Taylor
    30th August 2013 at 12:54 pm

I laugh at William's all the time. It's just his frown! He can do so much with that tiny face of his! And I love thinking of Mads as a diva – aren't we all? πŸ˜‰ xx

Charlotte Taylor
    30th August 2013 at 12:55 pm

Oh the bottom lip. And the quiver! Makes me giggle too! It's so funny when they get older and really work the pouts and frowns! xx

Charlotte Taylor
    30th August 2013 at 12:56 pm

It is! I think it's funny to remind them that they weren't perfect. It gives children an insight into what they were really like growing up. And it will be a funny one to show his future girlfriend! xx