On Friday, last week, I left work. I’m not going to be gone forever, but I’ll be gone for ten weeks – almost three months. I hadn’t given much thought to leaving – I was too busy trying to make sure I’d ticked everything off my list and finishing what I believe to be the greatest Handover Pack known to mankind (I’m thorough).
Needless to say, when it came to my leaving present I was left gobsmacked.
I haven’t had a baby shower as such. Without sounding silly, I’ve not got many people around me that I feel that I could invite to one. And I hate expecting people to give me gifts. I much more of a gift giver than a receiver. My family have been really supportive and have all helped out with bubs’ requirements anyway and I’ve planned every penny meticulously so that I could get him every last thing he will need. And then some. He IS my baby boy after all.
Over the last few months, I’ve not treated myself to much. I’ve cancelled hair appointments. Used up every last dreg of beauty product available to save buying more. And I’ve even squeezed into last year’s summer clothes (thank you God for not making me turn into a whale with pregnancy).
So when I arrived back to the office, after a farewell lunch together as a company, I could have cried. In fact I did cry. Later on at home, when there weren’t any boys around.
My lovely colleagues, understanding that I’d done as much as I could for bubs, decided to make sure his mummy was treated too. And this is what I got.
|Our litle collection of good luck and congratulations cards!|
- A bottle of Jack Daniels – my tipple of choice. I can’t wait to have a glass of this once he is out!
- A bottle of bubbly – to toast his arrival.
- Three summery Rimmel nail varnishes – all of which I’ve worn already in excitement.
- Dior Show Mascara – my ultimate favourite and not something I often buy myself.
- A £30 River Island voucher – to treat myself to something pretty once he is here.
- The cutest bottle of Jean Paul Gaultier Classique for Women that I ever did see.
- A massive Body Shop set – full of body butter, polishes, scrubs and shower gels so I can face labour head on, with beautiful skin and smelling like a coconut!
- Lion King and Winnie the Pooh books for bubs. I love reading so this meant a lot.
- A jungle play mat – I need two of everything as my mum will be looking after bubs when I’m back at work and now this another thing I don’t need to buy or worry about my parents buying.
- The cutest bear balloon ever!
|A card from a lovely PR friend of mine.|
As well as all of this, I had lots of cards from clients and work contacts, along with a voucher for Babies’R’Us and a big bunch of flowers.
My hands were shaking when I opened these gifts and I couldn’t actually get over the amount of gifts I was given. I know I few of my colleagues (and obviously friends!) read this, so here’s another thank you. It was one of the sweetest things anyone has ever done for me.
I’m off to run a bath and cover rmyself with Body Shop products!